Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Secret Hour >> Book Review

Midnighters #1: The Secret Hour
The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld 
Midnighters, Book 1
paperback pages: 297
My Rating 2.5 stars



Nobody is safe in the secret hour.

Strange things happen at midnight in the town of Bixby, Oklahoma. 

Time freezes. 

Nobody moves.

For one secret hour each night, the town belongs to the dark creatures that haunt the shadows. Only a small group of teenagers knows about the secret hour-only they are free to move about the midnight time.
They call themselves Midnighters. 

Each one has a different power that is strongest at midnight: Seer, Mindcaster, Acrobat, Polymath. For years the Midnighters and the dark creatures have shared the secret hour, uneasily avoiding one another. All that changes when the new girl with an unmistakable midnight aura appears at Bixby High School. 

Jessica Day is not an outsider like the other Midnighters. She acts perfectly normal in every way. But it soon becomes clear that the dark creatures sense a hidden power in Jessica... and they're determined to stop her before she can use it. 


My Review
Humans that are born at the stroke of midnight have the ability to access the secret 25th hour of the day. Wouldn’t you like the extra hour? I know I would.

The promise that out there is something more than what we see and feel is really interesting and will definitely be appealing to those who like sci-fi books.

This is my first sci-fi book so it was kind of hard to get into but once that was over and I got to know the characters I found myself trying to find ways for the characters to escape..... not saying! J

The truth is these series have really stuck with me and days after I read them I was thinking about them. It has enough science stuff for those of you that are interested to know how things happened, like me, and it was simple enough for those who don’t want to have a headache from the entire information overflow.

The characters were really unique and each one of them had a different talent. They call themselves Midnighters since they are the only humans that live in the secret hour but not for long because something dark out there wants them. These creatures, called daklings, are the other things that live or better exist at the secret hour. They only live at the 25th hour and that’s a relief because they are after Jessica. But she has the help of 4 other Midnighters, all with special talents.

The writing was in third person narrative which is my favourite. A plus! You will find yourself turning the pages fast and eager to see what happens next.
I only gave it 2 stars because it was hard for me to get into and because there wasn’t the love story I wanted to see but let me tell you the next books are better. This is the kind of series that gets better as it goes. So read it and then go for the next one!
Frosy 


Buy the book at Amazon | Book Depository  (Hardcover Format)
Amazon | Book Depository  (Paperback Format) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...