Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Evernight >> Book Review

Evernight (Evernight, Book 1)
Evernight by Claudia Gray
Evernight, Book 1
paperback pages: 327
My Rating 3 stars


Bianca wants to escape.
At the eerily Evernight Academy, a Gothic boarding school, the students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either and he likes it that way.
Lucas ignores the rules and stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful-even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart... and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed. 


My Review
I have mixed feelings about this book. The story line was something I hadn’t encountered before and it was a nice change. But the thing that annoyed most was the main character and how she was presented.

Bianca is supposed to be shy, in a case where she can’t even tell her name to someone she just meets. That’s how the author describes her so that’s what I expected but I was sadly disappointed.

You are either shy or not. That’s what I said each time Bianca turned to be shy one moment and then confident the other. You can’t be shy and the second day of school you are hanging with a bunch of people discussing your life. It’s really frustrating and I think her character was poorly developed.

Lucas was a breath. He is so much different from all those other “perfect” boys out there. He is a normal guy, as normal as you can get in a paranormal romance, that is not afraid to show his flaws. He is not the strongest or beautiful or rich and I think that made me like him more because he is the type of guy you will find on your way home. He is such a realistic guy. I was so happy reading about him. Although he was too overprotective but hey he is not perfect! :)

The writing was simple and straightforward, not much to say about it. Most YA books tend to have a really simple writing but that’s what you get when you’re into YA. Of course there are exceptions and that’s when you have a party!

As far for the plot there is something that made mad almost through the book but I am not going to write about it here because I will spoil it for you so I am going to leave it for another post.
Overall I liked it, not crazy about it but there were some scenes that I really liked and that’s why I gave 3 stars. Without them it would have been 2 stars.
Frosy 




Buy the book at Amazon | Book Depository (Hardcover Format)
and Amazon | Book Depository (Paperback Format) 

A fan-made trailer for the book.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...