Thursday, January 27, 2011

Perfect Chemistry >> Book Review

Perfect Chemistry
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Perfect Chemistry, Book 1
paperback pages: 357
My Rating 4 stars


At Fairfield High School, on the outskirts of Chicago, everyone knows that south siders and north siders aren't exactly compatible elements. So when cheerleader Brittany Ellis and gang member Alex Fuentes are forced to be lab parters in chemistry class, the results are bound to be explosive. But neither teen is prepared for the most surprising chemical reaction of all-love. Can they break through the stereotypes and misconceptions that threaten to keep them apart? 

"Miss Ellis?" Mrs Paterson says. "It's your turn. Introduce Alex to the class."
"This is Alejandro Fuentes. When he wasn't hanging out on street corners and harassing innocent people this summer, he toured the inside of jails around the city, if you know what I mean. His secret desire is to go to college and become a chemistry teacher, like you, Mrs Peterson."
Brittany flashes me a triumphant smile, thinking she's won this round. Guess again, gringa.
"This is Brittany Ellis," I say, all eyes now focused on me. "This summer she went to the mall, bought new clothes so she could expand her wardrobe, and spend her daddy's money on plastic surgery to enhance her, ahem, assets. Her secret desire is to date a Mexicano before she graduates."
Game on...


My Review
I loved Perfect chemistry. It was so sweet! I don't really read YA contemporary romance since most of them are predictable but this one almost wasn't it. And what I mean about that? Well the ending. The author leads the story to an end most romance stories have but then something happens and you're not so sure.


Even though it was a YA book there was a sex scene in it and the author managed to describe it very well without being graphic at all. It was really a sweet scene and to my surprise it was from Alex's point of view. The book changes between Alex's POV and Brittany's POV. This way we get to know both of them how they feel and think.


I loved Alex. Such a nice guy even though he acted as a touch guy. Even though he is a gang member he had never actually done something pretty bad. And he tries to stay clean as possible. The only reason he's in it is to protect his family. 


Brittany is you normal girl that tries to act perfect. Her life though isn't perfect as it looks like. It's better than Alex's but still, her family has big problems. You get to see that no matter how much money you have, money can't buy happiness. I love how this couple completed each other. They are so different and similar at the same time.


The writing was refreshing and I liked the voice of Alex the most. It's hard to capture a boy's voice when the author is woman but she managed well.


Overall I loved it. I had heard so much good things about this book that my expectations were high when I grabbed it and it didn't disappoint.  
The only thing I didn't like and it's the reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the ending. Not the final chapter but the conclusion in general. After a big event that changes both Alec and Brittany, the book felt rushed. I wish she could have taken it more slowly.




*For those who have read it*
Another thing that it struck a little weird to me and didn't result in a lower star, since that's how the character is, is that Alec never said I love you to Brittany. He says and does other things to Brittany to prove his love but that simple word didn't escape his mouth. Not even in his thoughts. Call me old fashioned but I expect when two people love each other to express it verbally with those simple words. But I did get to feel how much Alex loved her. He wouldn't have gotten into much trouble for her, would he?
What did you think about the book?


Frosy 


Buy the book at Amazon | Book Depository  (Format Hardcover)
and Amazon | Book Depository (Format Paperback)
and Amazon (ebook, kindle)


Book Trailer

3 comments:

Diana said...

OMG! that book trailer is hilarious :) thanks for sharing your thoughts! i havent heard much about this book, but your review makes me want to read it now! here's another book i'll be adding to my ever growing TBR pile :)haha!

Diana

Elodie said...

Thanks for this great review !! I loved Perfect Chemistry, I haven't noticed that Alex didn't say "I love you" to Britanny, which is kind of weird now that you've said it !! I can't wait to read your review of Rules of Attraction !! I hope you'll enjoy it !! =)

Anonymous said...

So funny! Love it! All 3 books were amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...