Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review: Stargazer

Stargazer (Evernight)
Title: Stargazer
Author: Claudia Gray
Series: Evernight, book 2
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 2009
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 329
Source: Bought
My Rating: 4 stars 


Synopsis

I kissed Lucas again, more slowly this time. We held each other tighter, and I started to wonder how much closer we could get-and then I remembered what it had felt like when I drank his blood.

The vampire in me was closer to the surface...

Evernight Academy: an exclusive boarding school for the most beautiful, dangerous students of all-vampires. Bianca, born to two vampires, has always been told her destiny is to become one of them.

But Bianca fell in love with Lucas-a vampire hunter sworn to destroy her kind. They were torn apart when his true identity was revealed, forcing him to flee the school.

Although they may be separated, Bianca and Lucas will not give each other up. She will risk anything for the chance to see him again, even if it means coming face-to-face with the vampire hunters of Black Cross-or deceiving the powerful vampires of Evernight. Bianca's secrets will force her to live a life of lies. 

Yet Bianca isn't the only one keeping secrets. When Evernight is attacked by an evil force that seems to target her, she discovers the truth she thought she knew is only the beginning...


My Review
In the first book we are left with Lucas leaving Evernight, a school occupied mostly by vampires, because he was a vampire hunter. Bianca is a vampire-sort of.
I put off reading this because I was so mad after reading the first book. I just couldn't believe how Bianca, since the series comes from her point of view, could actually lie about what she is. 
During the first half of Evernight you have no idea what is happening and then suddenly we discover Bianca is a vampire, drinking blood from cups all this time. 
Nevertheless, I got over it and got my hands on Stargazer because of Lucas. I just had to know more about him! And I did enjoy it!

The first pages seemed to pass really quickly. Bianca in this book wasn't shy at all. In the first book Evernight we begin to know her as a shy girl but a year after, she is more confident and sure about her self and her choices. Things between her and Lucas are hard since she is still in Evernight and he's somewhere else hunting vampires. Even though it seems impossible they still manage to see each other and each time their love grows stronger. 

Evernight though is still creepy and holds more secrets, that I thought was possible. I mean, I never saw this kind of twist coming up. The author managed to surprise me once more (in a good way this time) with a  twist in Bianca's life and I was a little bit socked how she managed to join vampires and ghosts into the story. 

Lucas and Bianca's moments left me breathless and can't wait to grab Hourglass to see what happens to them next. They have so many obstacles to overcome that I wonder when they'll get a chance just to be.

I liked Balthazar's character growth. We got a glimpse of his life and how he was turned into a vampire. I liked him and it was hard not to route for him, since he has a major crush on Bianca. I loved Lucas, especially when he was jealous. He was irresistible. Lucas did also grow in this book. He learned that not everything around him is white and black, and learned, first to think then to act. Bianca played a huge role there.

Overall, I liked it. Claudia Gray managed to create an eerie atmosphere focusing on the romance and mysteries of Evernight. I would recommend reading this even if you slightly liked Evernight. This book is much better than Evernight and can hope the rest of the books are as good as this if not better. 

Frosy 
Buy this book at Amazon | Book Depository (Format Hardcover)
or Amazon | Book Depository (Format Paperback)
or Amazon (Format e-book, kindle)

4 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I think I read someone else's review of the first one (I only just found your blog) and it didn't sound quite interesting enough to tempt me ... this one sounds much more engaging! :)

Ashley Delgado said...

I read this book a while back, and i LOVED IT! I'm glad you did too! Claudia Gray is amazing. :)

Jules said...

I haven't heard of this book before.

Interesting review!

Jules

Frosy said...

Rachel: Yes, this one is much better than the first one.
Ashley: I agree. After the initial shock in the first book I came to realize what a great author she is. Can't wait to read what happens next!
Jules: Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...