Monday, January 3, 2011

Love Is Hell >> Book Review

Love Is Hell
Love Is Hell by various authors
(5 short stories)
paperback pages: 263
My Overall Rating 3 stars


Sure, love is hell.
But it's totally worth it.

In these supernatural stories by five of today's hottest writers-Melissa Marr (WICKED LOVELY), Scott Westerfeld (SPECIALS), Justine Larbalestier (MAGIC FOR MADNESS), Gabrielle Zevin (ELSEWHERE), and Laurie Faria Stolarz (BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES)- love may be twisted and turned around, but it's more potent than ever on its quest to conquer all.

From two students who let the power of attraction guide them to break the hard-and-fast rules of their world to the girl who falls hard for a good looking ghost with a score to settle, the clever, quirky characters in this exciting collection will break your hear, then leave you believing in love more than ever.


My Review
This is a book containing five short stories, called Love is Hell. 
As you can imagine there are five love stories which didn't have a good ending and had paranormal elements in it. 
I will begin by reviewing each one of them. 


SLEEPING WITH THE SPIRIT, by Laurie Faria Stolarz
My Rating 5 stars
 
It is a story about a girl seeing ghosts and particularly one handsome boy who died in the house she is living in now. As you can imagine they get to know each other and fall in love. But sooner or later she has to let him go..... 
This is my favourite of all five stories and I think it has potential to be a really good novel. I hope the writer will turn this into a novel. 

STUPID PERFECT WORLD, by Scott Westerfeld
My Rating 3 stars

This story is being placed in the future, where we have teleporting and other technological achievements. It is a sci-fi story where two teenagers fall in love during a class project. They put themselves into our position (how we live today) to see how it was, because in their time everything is taken care by technology; even feelings I might add. During that journey they came across with things that they only new in theory. 
It was a nice story, interesting but to me it felt like a stranger; maybe, because I haven’t read any sci-fi fiction before. But I would gladly read this one if it was a novel. 

THINNER THAN WATER, by Justine Larbalestier
My Rating 2 stars

This story is held in a small village where everything runs like in the old days. No electricity no school for girls after 15, they have to marry. This girl though doesn’t want this life. She wants to go to the city to become a doctor. The day she decides to run away a boy comes and asks her to marry her and convinces her to stay, for a while before they both go to the city. Her parents don’t like him; they think that he is not even a human..... She doesn’t believe them and of course she is happy with him until...... 
I have mix feelings for this one. I like the paranormal stuff but didn’t like the setting. 
I don’t think that I would read this story if it was a novel... 


FAN FICTIONS, by Gabrielle Zevin
My Rating 3 stars

Ok this is not a fan fiction story. That was my first thought when I saw the title. I can’t really say much because I will spoil it, actually I won’t say anything just that it was a girl that read a lot. She was always at the library and was invisible to everyone, until she met him...... Saying even the slightest will ruin it for you but I must say I didn’t expect the ending.

It was a nice story, I think I would read it if it was a novel... 

LOVE STRUCK, by Melissa Marr
My Rating 5 stars

This is also my favourite of the five stories. It is about a girl that gets captured by a selchie. The selchie has no other choice but to follow her. They both are captured into this love-magic and she wants to end it. She starts having feelings for him but she constantly reminds herself that all this is a result of the selchie magic. So she found a way to end it. But now she feels sad...... 
I loved this one; I would defiantly read this if it was a novel. 

Now don’t expect to get attached to any of the character or to get to know them in dept. There are short stories......

Frosy 




Buy the book at Amazon | Book Depository  (Format Hardcover)
and Amazon | Book Depository (Format Paperback)
and Amazon (Format e-book, kindle)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...