Saturday, October 1, 2011

Book Review: Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Title: Wondrous Strange
Author: Lesley Livingston
Series: Wondrous Strange, Book 1
Publisher: HarperCollins Canada
Release Date: September 2009
Format: Paperback
Pages: 
Source: Bought it
My Rating: 4 stars

Since the dawn of time, the Faerie have taken. . . .
For seventeen-year-old actress Kelley Winslow, faeries are just something from childhood stories. Then she meets Sonny Flannery, whose steel-gray eyes mask an equally steely determination to protect her.
Sonny guards the Samhain Gate, which connects the mortal realm with the Faerie's enchanted, dangerous Otherworld. Usually kept shut by order of icy King Auberon, the Gate stands open but once a year.
This year, as the time approaches when the Samhain Gate will swing wide and nightmarish Fae will fight their way into an unsuspecting human world, something different is happening . . . something wondrous and strange. And Kelley's eyes are opening not just to the Faerie that surround her but to the heritage that awaits her.
Now Kelley must navigate deadly Faerie treachery—and her growing feelings for Sonny—in this dazzling page-turner filled with luminous romance.

I loved Wondrous Strange! I had my doubts when I started reading it because I'm not into faeries that much but this book was a big surprise for me. Faeries are a little too creepy for me but this book managed to keep all those aspects and facts about faeries without the creepiness.

Wondrous Stange is told both by Kelley-a 17-year old actress, and Sonny-a guard of the Gate which connects the mortal world and faerie world. I loved those two! They had such a connection and they were both down to earth. And Sonny.... he was so kick-ass and so into Kelley from the first moment even though he wouldn't admit it. And I loved LOVED that scene where the two of them were reading from Kelley's script.

The writing was also fantastic, it flowed so nicely that I didn't want to stop reading. The plot is original and you can see that Lesley has a strong connection with theatre and I loved all those theatre-related scenes. There are references of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream play that I found interesting and let me tell you that you don't have to know Shakespeare's play to understand this book. Although it may make you want to read it. 

All of the characters were fantastic even the minor ones, and I loved how Kelley didn't believe Sonny right away about the faeries. She actually laughs at his face, something you don't see often.

This book is perfect for those who don't like faeries because this one is so different from all the other faerie books and so good it'll make you want to know more about them.

Frosy


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...