Thursday, September 1, 2011

Book Review: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1)
Title: The Eternal Ones
Author: Kirsten Miller
Series: Eternal Ones, Book 1
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: 2010
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 411
Source: Bought it
My Rating: 3 stars


"So how does it work?" Haven asked. "How do people find each other again?"
"All I know is that we're drawn to the people we've loved before."
"And do we find each other in every life?"
The sorrow in Iain's face gave her a sense of how little she knew. "I look for you in every life, but I don't always find you. And sometimes I find you too late."
What if life refused to die?
Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.
In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves, before all is lost and the cycle begins again.
When The Eternal Ones got out I rushed to buy a copy because I'm such a sucker for love stories and this one promises a love that lasts forever. It deals with reincarnation and when I read the premise I knew in an instand that I'd love it. I haven't read anything before about true lovers being reincarnated and the idea behind the book was exciting and thrilling so I had big expectations when I picked it up. Having the love of your life find you in each life is awesome and epically romantic!

Unfortunately it wasn't what I was expecting. I couldn't see the connection between Iain and Haven and they barely spend any time together. There were of course a few scenes between them but it felt strange. There wasn't enough time between them to see the actual romance. Another downside that put me off at first and thought it was unnecessary was the first 150 pages. It dragged so long at the beginning that I was loosing patient and thought multiple of times to put it down. I understand that the author wanted to give us a feel of Haven's home situation but I think that it could have be done in less pages. I was more eager to learn about Iain's and Haven's story. ;) 

Another reason why I disliked the beginning was probably Haven's family and town. I think I must have found a character that I absolutely hate. Her grandmother was unbelievable! I could not understand this woman! When someone in your family has strange visions or whatever, you'll most likely take them to the doctor not to the priest for a quick exorcism. I got so mad that I had to put the book down for a couple of weeks before picking it up again.

The ending of the story didn't convince me. The bad guy of the story, which I won't name so I don't spoil anything to you, was really bad at being evil. I mean he had them and then left them go?? 

Will I read the next book All You Desire? Definitely. I haven't given up to this story and it has great potential. I'm curious to see what's next for Iain and Haven. Besides the title is just gorgeous! 


Frosy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...