Saturday, May 7, 2011

Book Review: Hush Hush

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
Title: Hush Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Series: Hush Hush, Book 1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: 2009
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
My Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis
Patch's eyes were black orbs. Taking in everything and giving away nothing. Not that I wanted to know more about Patch. Since I hadn't liked what I'd seen on the surface, I doubted I'd like what was lurking inside. Only, this wasn't exactly true. I'd liked a lot of what I'd seen. Long, lean muscles down his arms, broad but relaxed shoulders, and a smile that was part playful, part seductive. I was in an uneasy alliance with myself, trying to ignore what had started to feel irresistible.

A SACRED OATH 
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen-and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


Review
Hush Hush is the first book about angels I've read. I picked it up after hearing people raving about how good it is and with a cover like that, why wouldn't it be? When I read it the first time I wasn't impressed. Nora wasn't a strong character and her friend Vee is just plain annoying. Reading it though a second time changed my mind. Maybe I didn't like it the first time because I had read an incredible book before that, and no matter what I read next it wouldn't comprare. That's why I don't let myself read for a while after those kind of books so I can take them out of my system. But I couldn't wait for Hush Hush thinking it was that good. It's wasn't that good but it wasn't bad either.

The story is really good and the main thing that I didn't like was the characters. I have said it before, that I enjoy books mostly because of the plot not because the characters so much. When I have a great story with stunning characters, that's when the book is amazing for me. And the plot in this book was good and I do believe it gets better in the next two books (I haven't read them). But the characters weren't good. If the characters were written differently I may have enjoyed Hush Hush more.

Patch was a little abusive and I just couldn't believe how he talked to Nora and manipulated her without Nora even realizing it. Nora's best friend was just plain annoying and not a true friend to Nora. Vee should believe Nora and support her. It felt like she wasn't a friend to Nora at all. I couldn't believe how Nora could be friends with her. Patch was dark, silent and mysterious. Way too mysterious I would say. Now that I have read the book twice I still don't know Patch. Hopefully in the next book Crescendo I'll get to know him better.

Overall, I enjoyed it but wished there was more to it and I'm definitely going to read Crescendo. Should you read it? Why not. But if you have something else right now, go for that. 


Frosy

Buy this book at Amazon | Book Depository (Format Hardcover)
or Amazon | Book Depository (Format Paperback) 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...